Reading Kingdom is an online program that teaches reading and writing skills to a third grade level. It is recommended for children ages 4-10. Reading Kingdom is based around six reading skills: sequencing, motor skills, sounds, meaning, grammar and comprehension. It tracks and adjusts for each child.
- Most kids can use the program on their own after just a few lessons.
- It’s fun so children think they’re playing a game and want to practice.
- It was created by Dr. Marion Blank, Director of the Light on Learning Program at Columbia University and one of the world’s top experts in reading.
- It works with any other curriculum a child may be using.
- It’s the only program to offer customized online reading instruction for each child.
- And, it’s the only system that teaches all 6 skills needed for reading & writing success!
A free 30 day trial is available. After 30 days a subscription can be purchased for $19.99/mo or $199.99/yr for your first reader. Additional readers are $9.99/mo or $99.99/yr.
I was exited to review a reading program since David (6) is learning to read. The online program was easy to set up. I entered David’s info and started him on the skills survey. I was able to see his progress on the parent’s page. Unfortunately, David did not like the program. It was slow to move to the next screen and repetitive. I encouraged him to do more, he did some and gave it a fair try, but still didn’t like it at all. I think if he could have worked through the skills survey more quickly, he may have enjoyed it more. He is still at a point where he has a very short attention span. This is an area we are working on. Maybe trying this again in a few months would be better for him.
I would definitely recommend using the free trial to see if this is a good fit for your child. This is an award winning program from a world renowned expert on literacy. It uses a 6 skill model of reading instruction that incorporates elements of phonics and whole language while teaching additional skills required for reading and writing success without requiring kids to learn any complicated rules.
Many others on the TOS Crew reviewed Reading Kingdom also, see what they had to say about it here.
*Disclaimer: I received this product, at no cost to me, in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are mine.